Friday, April 19, 2013

6 Things You Should Know About Planning a Wedding

I'm a countdown girl.  Have been ever since I could count.  In March, I knew how many days it was until my December birthday.  Honestly, it's something I've never really grown out of either.  Right now, I'm in the middle of one of the biggest countdowns ever: to my wedding.  Exactly three months from today, I will be Mrs. Nikki Smith.  I can't even wrap my head around what that means.


The planning stages have had the expected ups and downs.  Thankfully, my organization and planning skills shine through at times like these.  The more there is to juggle, the more I can take on.  In a recent writing activity with my students, I took a moment to reflect on the last four or so months I've been engaged.  So far, this is what I have learned:


6 Things You Should Know About Planning a Wedding

1.    Everything costs at least $1,000.
From flowers to dresses to cakes, you are going to spend $1,000 on each element of the wedding.  Normally, a cake for a party would cost less than $100, but anytime you throw the word “wedding” in front of something, multiply the price by ten.
2.    Everything takes an hour.
There are many planning meetings with different vendors: caterers, photographers, church.  Each meeting will require planning, preparation, and fortuitous notes before you even get there.  It will spur questions you never considered (No, I didn’t think about where my broken family would sit at the church.  They’re adults.  I thought they could figure it out).  You’ll walk out with a yet another list of to-dos.  And there is always a follow up meeting. 
3.    The wedding is not really for you. 
Yes, you are the one getting married to live happily ever after.  That will happen.  However, from the time you get engaged until the day of the wedding, it’s a constant balancing act of trying to meld everyone else’s vision of your day to how you truly see it.
4.    The details will get you.
They told me once the big stuff was booked, it would all fall into place.  They lied.  The smaller details are the more tedious ones.  How do I address the invitations so not to offend anyone?  What color nail polish will the bridal party wear?  Who gets what flowers and where do they go?  Don’t get too obsessed.  These aren’t what your guests came to your wedding to see.
5.    It will come together in the end.
      If, at the end of the day, you’re married to the man you love, it was worth it.  It will be here, and over, before you know it.
6.    You should elope.

No comments:

Post a Comment