Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Midnight Margaritas

"You put the lime in the coconut and drink it all up." 

A couple months ago, I asked my mom and sister for a girls' weekend.  Just the three of us.   I know after I'm married, it will be different.  Trying to arrange our busy schedules will be harder.  Before too many other factors influenced our lives, I wanted to spend time with the two most important women in my life.  A midnight Margarita night, inspired by one of our favorite movies, Practical Magic, was on the calendar.  We wanted to dance in the kitchen like Sandra Bullock, Nicole Kidman, Dianne Wiest, and Stockard Channing.  And sing our hearts out.  A movie that celebrates women and the powerful intuitive connection instilled in them is truly symbolic of the relationship I have with my mother and sister.  Other women are envious and men are baffled by this bond and secret language we use to communicate.

Our connection is more unique than any other mother/daughter/sister relationship.  For a while, we were all we had.  As a single mom, she made sure her girls always felt loved and protected.  We had next to nothing, but we never wanted for anything.  Most people would find it odd to find so much peace when facing the hardships accompanied with single parenting.  Mom still refers to it as the best of times, just her and her girls.

We used to have these moments all the time.  Our stepdad worked weekend nights growing up, so for just a few times a month, we would have Mom all to ourselves.  And she spoiled us rotten.  We'd lay in the living room watching movies with mounds of pillows and blankets until we could barely hold our eyes open.  Then, if she was up for a few elbows and knees in her back, we'd crawl into bed with Mom.

This weekend, we did our best to recreate the memories of our past.  I'd say we were more than successful.

After shopping and being spoiled with new Coach purses, after assembling wedding invitations, after making a dent in the guacamole and watching the first movie, Peace, Love, and Misunderstandings, I laid my head down on a pillow and cuddled up to my mom just as I did twenty years ago.  Minutes later, my sister followed my lead.  I looked at my mom worried about her comfort.  I didn't need to ask as her smile stretched ear to ear, beaming at her girls.

Living room picnic with margaritas  guacamole, and a little chocolate is the perfect recipe to a successful girls' weekend (especially fitting on Cinco de Mayo!)

With my wedding fast approaching and a new chapter in my life beginning, I know moments like this are fleeting.  It won't stop us from trying.  

No comments:

Post a Comment