Thursday, May 29, 2014

This Summer I Will.... (2014)

Even though it was the longest winter in recent memory, summer snuck in.  One day, it is a brisk 30 degrees with a roaring wind; the next, it is raining and dreary all day; then, out of nowhere, it is sunny and humid.  Oh, how quickly Iowans forget about the humidity when the wind chills are at record lows.  

Not only the weather, but also the events of this past season made it feel longer than most.  As good friends of our said, "you are becoming pros at grief."  Not something I ever aspired to do. 

But, summer is like the start of a new year.  Renewed energy to get things accomplished that have been put off since last summer.  Fresh start with fresh air and opportunities.  Blank slate for stories to be made and experienced. 



This summer I will...
Discover the joys of being a homeowner

~ create an office oasis: Right now, it's a disastrous catchall.  There are piles of papers, mounds of books, and random decor waiting for attention.  I want it to be a productive and creative workspace.  It has long way to go.

~ organize a laundry room: This isn't a priority in Casey's book, but he doesn't spend as much time there as I do.  Mom has offered Doug's services to help put cupboards and hanging bars to make doing laundry as fun as it can possible be.

~ plant flowers: I really just want someone to do this for me.  I do not have any sort of green thumb or even have any idea where to start.

~ splash color on the walls: A few weeks ago, Casey said we need some paint on the walls downstairs.  A casual statement implying little to no effort.  Our downstairs is more or less one room.  You paint one, you are painting everything including the hallway upstairs.  I think I will be showing Casey how much an accent wall can add.

~ order wedding photos: I once read you can't hang a memory disk on a wall.  So true. Our amazing photographer, D&orfs Photography, has overwhelmed us with memories from one of my favorite days.  I will relive this day through these photographs and try to select some of the nearly 2,000 photos to print.

Encourage my literary mind

~ fly through some of the latest young adults hits
~ write about all the blessings
~ attend my first "EngCamp" in Cedar Falls
~ take a class, or two, or three
~ read some things that let me escape this reality
~ reinvent the look of my blog to reflect me
~ host another book exchange to learn new titles and find great reads
~ finish writing about the hard things from the first half of the year
~ find inspiring works to read and challenge me
~ share more, post more, photograph more

Learn how to relax

~ sit on our patio and sip sangria
~ bask in the sun and work on my tan
~ listen to music with my feet in Casey's lap
~ sip and dip with family in Okoboji with a "final, final"
~ binge watch an new show on Netflix
~ get addicted to running again
~ spoil myself with manicures and pedicures
~ savor long lunches with good friends
~ patio hop downtown one afternoon
~ become a yogi at StudioB
~ enjoy pool dates with my favorite ladies
~ jam out at outdoor concerts
~ go to Key West!






No comments:

Post a Comment