Wednesday, April 20, 2016

The One Where I Learn about Bullet Journaling

A couple weeks ago, I saw a student filling in a very unique looking planner.  The planner addict in me immediately needed more information.  Turns out, it wasn't in a planner; it was a bullet journal.  A planner, journal, and scrapbook all in one.  She gave me a quick overview and told me to head to Pinterest for more ideas.  This is what has been missing from my life since I was her age.  

At first, I thought she had made up "bullet journalling."  After getting lost on Pinterest, I realized how deep I could go here.  How truly dangerous it could be.  And the best part is, I can make it my own.  I have always been planner obsessed.  This may take that obsession to a whole new level.

I hate that I am a perfectionist.  The first pages I tried to create, I ripped out and restarted.  I'm hoping this will help me - eventually - to get over it.  I just need to keep reminding myself there is always another day, another week, another month to try it a different way.

As I showed Casey all the different options, he said why would anyone want to live like this?  It is how my mind works.  A reflective place for all my thoughts, plans, and goals.  It keeps my ideas, notes, and intentions in one place with some semblance of an organization.

I can set monthly goals, (I was never a girl that was good at doodling bubble and block letters, so I've actually made this one of my monthly goals.  I decided I'm not too old to learn)


track progress (obviously, the "no added sugar" thing needs some work)



and see all the upcoming due dates (this one was way too depressing - we'll see if I actually do it again).


I love that each week, I get to decide a new layout that fits my plans, my style, and my mood.  I love feeling of completion as I check off each task.  I love playing and learning new designs and doodles to enhance the pages.




This one makes me laugh.  Two hours after I started this, our refrigerated broke. #bestlaidplans


Once I learned about this, I immediately wanted to take it to the classroom, not only for me as a teacher, but also for students.


I am a big picture thinker, especially when it comes to school planning, so I love having a place I can constantly hold my ideas and refer back to.



After I finished this weeks layout, a new sense of calm came over me.  It's definitely a way to treat my anxiety even though I know many would see it as panic inducing.  And the possibilities are endless.  

No comments:

Post a Comment