Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Polar Vortex Causes Weekend Hibernation

A no school day because of cold temps feels different than snow.  Neither make me want to leave my house, but on a "snow" day, it's because I'm trapped.  A "cold" day, it's because I'm a wuss.  Maybe mother nature knew the Smittys needed to hibernate.

A Polar Vortex has settled over the Midwest.  At first, I thought this was a cleverly named weather event for the frigid temperatures we are experiencing, much like "Snowmaggedon or Snow-pocolypse"

Then I learned it is an actual climatological feature, and soon flashes of scenes from The Day After Tomorrow invaded my mind.  Dennis Quaid and Jake Gyllenhaal will soon appear and tell me how to survive in the New York Public Library.  After some research, I realized it bears much resemblance to what actual occurred in the movie: an Arctic cyclone spinning cold air from the North pole down to the Midwest.  Thanks for the delayed gift, Santa.

The timing was good.  We needed an excuse to be lazy.  Our weekend consisted of football, movies, blankets, and snuggles.

Sunday started with some baking.  We do weekend breakfasts right in our house.  Whether it is meeting my parents at our new local favorite, PerkUp Cafe, or making a mess of our own kitchen with eggs, pancakes, and bacon.  This Sunday, I wanted to make the house smell good, so to Pinterest I went.  These Apple Streusel Muffins were calling my name:


They melted in our mouth and shocked us both at my baking skills.  Casey asked, "Did these come from a box?"  Nope, all me.

We watched a lot of close football playoff games.  I know more than I ever thought I would about Pro Football and often impress my husband when I shout at the television, "Come on, even I knew Kaepernick was going to run that; he always runs!"  Casey smiles with pride from across the room and mutters a "You're right, baby."  I guess I'm not doing too good at convincing him I don't want to watch football four days a week, seven months of the year.

All of this while the wind howled outside.  More ferocious than I have ever heard, it felt like the wolf was literally trying to blow our brand new house down.  Living on a corner lot seemed like a great idea when we were looking for houses.  We only have neighbors on two sides of us, giving some privacy we desired.  To the north of our house is a farm field that is gorgeous on a summer night providing peace of the country side.  This translates to a vicious northwest wind ripping the side of our house off in the winter - which just happens to be our bedroom.  The wind vibrated the gutter so loud it woke us up.  Casey had to rig it to stop or the dog (and Casey) would have been barking at it all weekend.

I grew up in a cold house where the answer was, "Go put on more clothes."  Ever since winter arrived, Casey walks around in two or three layers to my t-shirt and no socks.  When this happened, Casey simply stated, "Don't tell me it's not cold."


The temps this weekend are supposed to be in the upper 30s.  That will be a 80 degree difference from the feels like temp of -50 we experienced Monday morning.  I'm sure I will feel like walking around without a coat.

No comments:

Post a Comment