Thursday, March 24, 2016

Mila's First Food: Avocado and Cilantro

You have been a rock star with rice cereal.  Mom can't shovel it fast enough.  With each bite, you immediately have your mouth open waiting for more.  Yesterday, you even grabbed the spoon from me.

So, after much debate, I gave in and made you your first food.  Typical first parent stuff: I did all kinds of research and weighed the guilt of giving you food too early.  According to the book, Little Foodie, you meet all of the milestones to begin food: sitting up, showing interest in food, acting hungry after bottles.  With the encouragement and approval from my coworkers, I decided tonight would be your first real food: avocado and cilantro.


Preparing your food added a new challenging layer: how to entertain you while I do.  Not only do I have a bottle to make now, but also rice cereal, and avocado.  A little more complicated and you don't quite have the patience yet.  Thankfully, you already have a few favorite toys.  After all your meal prep, Mom settled on peanut butter and jelly for her dinner.



Lots of the research and readings (I hate that I am a parent saying this) talk about the importance of introducing a variety of different foods and flavors as it could make for less picky eaters.  I don't know if that is why we are doing this, but I think it is pretty cool that your first food is natural avocado and cilantro.  I never would have thought to mix in spices to increase your palate.  Dad even thought your dinner sounded good.

You, without a doubt, LOVED it.





After you were done, the avocado was everywhere.  Sadly, it wasn't bath night.


And you still wanted to play with your spoon.  Mom is so proud of you.





No comments:

Post a Comment