Friday, March 13, 2020

Fourteen Weeks and the End of Maternity Leave


Fourteen weeks of snuggles and sleepless nights.
Fourteen weeks of learning to be a family of four.
Fourteen weeks of tears - from both of us.
Fourteen weeks of worries for a new babe.
Fourteen weeks of watching her explore her world.
Fourteen weeks of love growing more than I thought possible.
Fourteen weeks of moments I will savor.

I’m lucky to get fourteen weeks of just Tessa and Momma time.  So lucky that I feel guilty about it.  (Thanks to a society that forces moms to work too soon and then guilts them into going back too soon.)  I even have another week home with Mila for Spring Break, and heck, who knows, maybe another week or two after that.  But, today is an end. An end of my official leave.

I’m ready to go back to work and I’m sad to go back to work.  I want to go back and see my students. And I want to stay home and watch my girl grow and learn new things every day. The momma-teacher heart struggle is real.

So while this sleeping babe lays in my arms, I’m going to choose to savor this and binge some shows a little more. The house cleaning  and laundry can wait.

The days are long, but the years (and weeks) are too short.

No comments:

Post a Comment