Monday, March 23, 2020

Two Weeks

A mother of an infant can tell you how much life changes in two weeks' time.  But, really two weeks isn't even long enough for a good European vacation.  However, these last two weeks have more events than two lifetimes need.  Here is how life has changed:

Two weeks ago, I was anxious to get back into the classroom.  I headed to school to collect pre-tests and reading surveys. I wanted data on the students I would finally be able to meet on March 23rd.  Now, that data sits on my kitchen table, not because I am procrastinating, but because I don’t know how -- or when -- to use this data I have.  

Two weeks ago, my nightmares revolved around being late for school.  My stress was getting out the door in time with two kids. Now, my nightmares are literal end-of-the-world dreams where I am fighting to save my family.  The tornado of softball-sized black bumblebees with dentured teeth still haunts me.  

Two weeks ago, I drank socially.  A glass or two of wine with friends, out to eat, or after the kids went to bed.  Now, the wine takes the edge off and calms my anxieties. It helps the constant uneasiness that is crawling under my skin always. 

Two weeks ago, I was trying to get back to meal planning.  After a Vegas vacation, we were looking forward to structure and routine.  Now, eating out at our favorite local restaurants seems like an act of service to support the struggling economy. 

Two weeks ago, my husband’s job prospects were looking up.  He worked hard to build himself up since he found an industry that matters to him.  Now, the economy has tanked. People are losing jobs left and right. Unemployment is skyrocketing.  

Two weeks ago, I was counting down the snuggles with my three-month-old daughter as my maternity leave came to an end.  Knowing those moments are limited. Now, there is a real chance I will enjoy those snuggles until August. Is this the only way a woman can get a long maternity leave in America?  A global pandemic? 

Two weeks ago, my biggest curriculum concern was getting students enough practice and feedback with reading and writing to improve and prepare them for what they encountered next.  Now, I just want them to get any reading and writing. 

Two weeks ago, I worried about a lack of money.  Now, I worry about a lack of available resources, like toilet paper, diapers, formula. 

Two weeks ago, I was cautiously concerned about germs, especially around my infant daughter.  Now, I am alarmed and alert about what we are touching and how often we are washing our hands.

Two weeks ago, my four-year-old was looking forward to introducing her sister to her friends at daycare.  Last night, she cried because she misses her daycare friends. 

Two weeks ago, my worries were about balancing the business of life with two kids as I returned to work.  Now, I worry about the life we will leave for these children after all of this is over. 


3 comments:

  1. Oh, Nikki, I am so glad you wrote this. It is almost a POEM. I hope you will print this off and tuck it in both of your daughters' baby books. KEEP writing. Chronicling this time is so important. I'm signing up to be notified of your posts! Take care, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a stark contrast you have created for us to consider how time and events challenge our perspectives. This is something that spoke to me, as I think I’m avoiding my own feelings and diving into others’

    ReplyDelete
  3. Powerful reminders of how much has changed. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete