Sunday, March 19, 2017

B+ Teacher

I need to learn to be a "B+" teacher.

As I lay here in bed on the Sunday night of Spring Break, the weight of everything I didn't do and need to do is suffocating.  Why do I have so much to do?  Do all teachers feel this way on Sunday night?  Am I expecting too much of myself?  Of my students?  What is that balance between trying to challenge and grow as learners and feeling like this?

For now, I have no choice but to make compromises. And that's okay.  It has to be.

I won't be the best teacher tomorrow - and that's hard to admit. But, my students have taught me more about grace than I ever knew possible. When I am honest with them tomorrow about not being prepared, they will understand.  They will cut me the slack I am so unwilling to cut myself.  And they will see me as an ordinary person who sometimes struggles, but is persistent. And that's a lesson in itself.

1 comment:

  1. I am reading this on a Wed that I totally winged the teaching of fractions because I just don't have enough time to be prepared for it all. Thanks for reminding me to be persistent. Tomorrow is another day and I did stay after today and have my math lesson planned! I liked the honesty in your writing. It inspires me!

    ReplyDelete