Thursday, March 2, 2017

That One Thing


That one thing you did yesterday is enough.

Yes, but --

I know, I know.  But that list is never going to be "done."

I know, but it was only ONE thing -- 

Right.  You did ONE thing for 2nd hour, and ONE thing for 3rd hour, and ONE thing for 5th hour and...

But, I didn't grade anything from my pile --

No, you didn't.  But you did today.  You got through two classes worth.

I did nothing but sit in front of the television last night --

While you wrote a six page grant application.

I couldn't get myself up to run this morning -- 

Because you are actually, physically wearing yourself out.  You're going to get sick if you don't take care of yourself.

But I still haven't planned for my new unit that starts on Friday -- 

And you will.  It will get done.

How do you know? 

Because it always does.

But -- 

Seriously.  Just stop.

Thanks page-a-day. 



4 comments:

  1. This touched me. We teachers (and mothers, wives, friends, sisters, etc., etc.) seem to always be having these "conversations". You've captured the struggle so well. Love this structure!! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You just describe my life!
    I'm sitting w/ my laptop on my lap top.
    Three books by my side.
    I'd planned to plan.
    Notice the tense.
    Perhaps tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that chatter that goes on in our head and heaps the guilt on us. If only we could be kinder to ourselves. You have done a great job. You should be proud of this one thing and all of the other things you have done. And, that is enough!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your structure...you talking, your page-a-day self talking. Just before siting down to read and comment just now, I was thinking how instead of planning the unit test one day and the new unit starting the next, why don't we give teachers a week to plan it all out. I am tempted to plan a week of review to give me a week to plan out the next math, writing and reading unit. There is just never enough time and unfortunately, time is finite.

    ReplyDelete