Monday, March 6, 2017

What I'm Reading: Unbroken

My Sports Lit class is reading Unbroken by Lauren Hillenbrand, and I'm reading it for the first time with them.  Of course, there is always a fear in assigning a book I haven't read.  But, there is also something scared about experiencing a book the first time with your students.  I am more a reader, like they are, than a teacher.  It allows us to connected and discuss more authentically.

As I was reading last night, Louie Zamperini was getting ready to go officially off to war.  Hillenbrand notes that the crew leaves Iowa in October of 1942.  This short simple sentence is a sea of descriptions caught me off guard.

This could have been my grandpa.

When I started to make parallels between what I knew of his stories and what was happening in the book, it was erie.  Besides the obvious Iowa connection, my mom confirmed Grandpa entered the war in 1942 when he was seventeen years old.  Grandpa fought in the Pacific Theater, like Zamperini.  I half expect Hillenbrand to mention Zamperini running into this young kid, Bud LaMasters, who ornery and caring and loyal.  I want to know if their lives every overlapped.  Is this book part of my history?

Whether they met or not, this story feels like it belongs to me, too.   The rich history and historical accounts with thorough research show me what my grandpa went through.  Now, I picture him with Zamperini and his crew as they face the conflicts of war.

Grandpa didn't share much with us about his experiences, and I don't blame him for that--though I would have treasured every story.  This book brought him back to me.

Because this is my first read through of the book, my students will get a different experience than if I was more familiar with it.  They will get my honest personal reaction and connection.  It may be emotional and mess, but more than anything, it will be authentic.

4 comments:

  1. I love how you are delving into the unknown. I agree that there is something authentic and real about uncovering things alongside your students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you are delving into the unknown. I agree that there is something authentic and real about uncovering things alongside your students.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your students are so lucky to have a teacher who is not afraid to take risks and show her true self. I am excited for you that there are these connections in the book. I suppose you can't put it down now. Great slice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I read your post, I'm reminded of an author I heard speak once who said about their book that it becomes a book once it is read. Clearly, because of your connection to your grandpa, this story holds a certain kind of meaning for you. It is risky to read without previewing but I've had my best experiences with books when I read them authentically with my students. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete