Saturday, March 4, 2017

Where You Lead, I Will Follow You



You walk over to me with your hand and voice welcoming me.  When I accept, you take me over to Daddy with the same greeting.  You make it really hard for us to say no.

Then, you lead us.  Sometimes around the island.  Sometimes to look out the front door.  Sometimes upstairs to play with your other toys.  Sometimes aimless around the backyard.  We usually don't know where you are going, but you always do.  But don't worry, we'll follow you.

More than anything, that's what I want you to always know:

Where you lead, I will follow
Anywhere that you tell me to
If you need, you need me to be with you
I will follow where you lead

I've been singing this song to you since you were born.  It's one of three or four in our nightly lullaby rotations.  (All the songs that I created memories with my mom, and now, I want the same for you.)

If I ever feel too tired or busy to go, I remind myself this stage is fleeting.  One day, you won't do this.  I plan to savor every moment you let me.





3 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post. I have a 17 month old who also often leads me around by the hand (and the heart) and whom I also sing songs that meant something to my mother and me. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly this post made me tear up a little bit. I have a very close relationship with my mother and that Carole King song has always made me think of her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Gilmore Girls theme song! It really is the perfect song to sing to a baby!! The specific places and actions you include in your writing help me to see you with your child. So glad you added the photo taken at a perfect angle! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete